Working together for a sustainable future with IT expertise
What’s the link between IT, the climate and shaping the future?
Climate change is one of the major challenges of our generation. Although we already have access to reliable climate models, our understanding of the complex interaction between climate and society remains patchy. This raises the following questions:
- What measures are effective and socially acceptable? Because change is only possible if ordinary citizens get involved.
- How can decision-makers from politics, business and society act effectively without losing their voters, customers, employees or supporters?
SCIARA - Society Climate Interaction Analysis using Real human agents and Artificial Intelligence.
SCIARA is a project in cooperation with the PIK (Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research) and is a non-profit organisation consisting of several medium-sized German IT companies. doubleSlash has been part of the project from the outset.
Interactive climate time travel with SCIARA – what effect do our decisions have on the climate?
ClimateTimeMachine is a science-based online simulation in cooperation with SCIARA. It allows groups of participants to experience climate change in fast motion and test how they can take positive steps towards a greener future.
How does the interactive climate time travel work?
Over the course of the climate journey, participants make various personal life decisions and vote on social policies.
- What do you spend your money on?
- Which means of transport do you use? (Bicycle or SUV?)
- Are you in favour of carbon pricing?
ClimateTimeMachine stages the effects of this and shows the consequences.
Why is this important?
ClimateTimeMachine makes climate change tangible and shows people how their personal and business concerns affect climate change.
Our commitment to climate research in collaboration with SCIARA
- With our expertise in software development and project management, we are supporting the development of a new model that can be used to find robust solutions to climate change.
- The aim of the project is to bring together scientific models and real people on one platform and simulate human behaviour in a realistic, representative and reproducible manner.
- It is hoped that this will significantly improve the quality of simulations for climate research.
- Decision-makers from politics, business and society can use the empirical data obtained to test climate protection measures for social acceptance in advance, enabling them to combat global warming.
"As IT experts and particularly with our expertise in user experience and user interface design, our aim at doubleSlash is to create sustainable added value: By supporting climate research and participating in SCIARA project where IT meets science."
Kai Guschal // UX Consultant // SCIARA project team